Port Service Manager
Welcome to Hapag-Lloyd, a leading global logistics company. We are a team of nearly 10,000 employees working across 600 offices in 113 countries. All working together to ensure the flow of goods never stops. Right now, we’re hiring a Manager Port Superintendent in New York, NY; Charleston, SC or Norfolk, VA. Let’s navigate the future, together.
What does it mean to join a leading global liner shipping company? It means you’ll have access to outstanding technology and challenging job opportunities around the world. It means working for a company that cares about the environment, safety, and quality management. It means we set high standards. That’s how we’ve been setting the benchmark for more than 170 years. Now here’s your chance to become a part of what we do next.
- Drive terminal performance, contribute to the continuous improvements and cost savings by implementing defined measures and actions required during the vessel call in Hamburg.
- Ensures that a chosen and contracted supplier fulfills his/her duties and that subcontracts are corresponding with the frame contract.
- Direct communication with terminal management to define and apply corrective actions immediately and ensure timely feedback of outcome and lessons learned to Area / Regional Operations Management.
Monitor the implementation of improvement measures during pre- and after berthing and during terminal operations:
- Ensure vessel arrival and berthing processes are within target duration.
- Ensure crane availability and performance align with expectation (stowage provided).
- Discuss deviations and quick fixes with Terminal (real-time).
- Constantly seek to identify further improvement measures and ensure transfer of ideas to Regional Operations Management.
Conduct regular reviews of overall action plans from terminal partnering projects:
- Discuss and implement improvement measures with Terminal Management based on feedback from Vessel Command/ Planner.
- Ensure alignment of definition and implementation of corrective measures with terminal operations.
- Provide feedback from frequent interaction to Regional Operations Management.
- Ensure that measures with internal responsibility is being transferred within the organization.
Identify opportunities for schedule/vessel space optimization
- Review and decide on loading of additional units in direct alignment with terminals and internal stakeholders (e.g. slot control, vessel planner).
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Good understanding of the shipment processes.
- Knowledge in terminal/ port operations essential. Awareness of regional factors for ship and port calls. (Tidal conditions, encounter regulations, wind and weather dependencies, currents, port restrictions from authorities, max. draught in the port and on the river).
- Ability to drive efficiency in port calls.
- Effective communication, co-ordination and conflict management skills.
- Ability to link and coordinate business related developments through the organization.
- Advanced English skills in writing and speaking.
- Good analytical skills.
- Advanced PC knowledge (QlikView, Excel).
- Reporting of management related information
- Cost Control background is eligible
- Experience in direct contact with customers and/ or suppliers, service partner
- Experience in buying, negotiation and/or contracting activities
- Open minded on new ideas
- Ability to develop innovative solutions
- Taking responsibilities on the job
- Able to work independently
- Well self-organized
- Friendly and open-minded manner, able to communicate with other staff and suppliers in a positive mode even under time pressure, self-confidence, service orientated, team skills assertive
- Available to be on site during vessel calls to oversee real time execution of measures
- Willingness to work beyond regular office hours.
- Variable work schedule, including nights and weekends, subject to vessel schedule. Often at terminal facility working in contact with port and vessel staff.
This is a great opportunity to grow with an industry leader. For consideration, please email resume and port locations of choice to Usa.email@example.com.
Hapag-Lloyd is an Equal Opportunity employer that maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing.